If you discovered today’s article, it is likely you are looking for information on why your garage door does not close all the way. There are many times when you can troubleshoot these problems. However, in some instances, it is a good idea to contact a garage door repair professional. That said, if you can identify the problem, you will have a better idea if you can accomplish the task yourself or if you will need an expert to help you.
1. Something Is Blocking the Door – With automatic garage doors, there is a sensor that prevents the door from crushing any object in its path. It may come across as a little condescending to suggest, but you would be surprised how many times an obstruction is causing a garage door not to close.
2. Check the Photo Eye Sensor – If your garage door opens correctly, but does not close at all, it may be an issue with the photo eye sensors being out of alignment. These sensors are designed so that if something crosses the path, the door will open. It is intended to prevent the doors from closing on a person.
3. The Garage Floor Is Damaged – If you discover that the garage door closes, but it is uneven with a gap on one side, your garage floor may be cracked, shifted, or otherwise damaged. Short of revealing your garage floor, the garage door must be readjusted to ensure it closes properly.
4. Improper Setting of Garage Door Limit – This is a more common issue with new installations, but also sometimes occurs with older ones that need a reset. The limit setting tells the garage door how far it should travel before reaching the floor. Your owner’s manual can provide instructions on how to correct this problem.
5. The Alignment of the Tracks is Off – There may be a problem where the side tracks shifted or became bent. This can become a serious issue. A garage door professional will have the knowledge and tools to realign the tracks or install new ones if needed.
Do you still have questions? What haven’t we covered yet that is important to you? If you would like to talk about why your garage door does not close all the way, or a related topic, please contact us.