Has your garage door become stuck while either opening or closing? People often take their garage doors for granted, just expecting them to work. However, like all mechanical devices, garage door parts will age and wear over time. In some instances, there are easy fixes that you can do yourself. However, there are many times you will want to call a professional. Identifying the issue is the key to knowing whether or not you need to call for help.
Why Did My Garage Door Get Stuck?
1. Weather Related – If your garage door’s issue corresponded with changes in the weather, you may need to modify the opener’s pressure. While this may seem like an easy fix, it is best to leave this modification to a professional. An adjustment that causes too much force could result in the door not stopping properly and therefore become a danger.
2. Broken Springs and Pulleys – If a spring breaks, this can make it very difficult to open. Moreover, a pulley can become stuck with a misaligned cable or an obstruction. Because of the high tensions involved, problems with springs and pulleys will need a professional garage door repair. It is simply too dangerous without the proper tools and knowledge.
3. Off the Track – You will know this is the problem if, as the title suggests, the door rollers are off their track. While it may seem easy enough to pop the rollers back on track, it is best to have a professional complete the repair. This will help ensure that the actual cause is fixed and no damage is done to the door panels.
4. Track Obstruction – Your stuck or frozen garage door can be caused by a simple track obstruction. Inspect the track to see if a broom, shovel, or other obstruction is in the way of the track. This is normally a fast and easy fix. Additionally, use a garage door lubricant spray on the tracks and other hardware.
5. A Locked Garage Door – You would be surprised at the number of times a stuck garage door is caused by it being fully locked. Nevertheless, this is another easy fix. Someone simply locked the door without you knowing. Once identified, you simply need to unlock the door.
Do you have questions? What haven’t we covered yet that is important to you? If you would like to talk about a stuck or frozen garage door, or a related topic, please contact us at Smokey’s Garage Door.