A garage door is one of the most noticeable features of a home’s exterior. It can add to curb appeal, upgrade security and make life easier. If garage door replacement is on the home improvement list, remember that the right update can deliver a significant return on investment. Here are 5 tips on selecting the garage door that’s right for your home.
1. Cost: There are basically 4 different materials to choose from in garage doors and they have their own price points. Your budget may determine whether you opt for steel or aluminum, which is generally less expensive than wood or composite wood doors.
2. Insulation: Garages are usually not heated and cooled. They can become hot boxes or ice boxes, depending on the season. This can affect a home’s energy-efficiency. Upgrade to an insulated door and the return on investment will be seen on monthly utility bills.
3. Security: A garage door needs to keep out more than intruders. What are the most severe climate conditions in your area? Homes in high-wind or heavy snowfall areas need a stronger door. Who wants to step outside after a major storm only to find their garage door caved in or a block away?
4. Automation: Including an upgrade to an automated garage door opener not only adds to a home’s value, it also enhances security and quality of life. Even carriage-style garage doors can be equipped to operate automatically.
5. Customization: Customizing a garage door may be more affordable than you think. Professional installers offer a variety of options to transform a stock door into an architectural statement. Inserting windows, upgrading hardware or selecting a custom color paint job are features that may lie within reach of even the strictest budget.
Did you know? Garage doors are the number one upscale project. The national average for the cost of a garage door is $3,140 and has a recouped cost of 90.1%!
– Source: Door + Access Systems Spring 2016
To get started on your garage door replacement project, contact Smokey’s Garage Door. Our experienced installers are ready to assist you in selecting the right door and performing all the heavy lifting to get it installed right.